понеделник, 28 октомври 2013 г.

Greece cycling trip, Day 2


 Day 2, 12.10.2013, Radovets-Mezek

DST-62.6 km, AVS: 15.5 km/h, TM:4:01 h

Heading from Radovets to the tower where Baldwin was defeated nearby Matochina in the beginning of the 13th century I crossed a very beautiful landscape. Unlike Strandja there are no forests and you have a broad view over the terrain. That's something I adore. BTW, the road between Radovets and Varnik was, despite expectations, not shown on my Bulgaria Garmin GPS map my karta.bg .

bulgariatrue.com
Trail between Radovets and Varnik


Varnik


A few more words about my hosts. They made me a great breakfast-several slices of bread covered with salami and thick layer of cheese. Two of them they put on my bag although I kindly asked them not to do so :) Vankata took me to the spot where the trail begins since as mentioned above it was not on my map. Later on he even called me to check if everything was going well. Perfectly nice people!

According to Vankata there is no bridge between Lesovo and Radovets over the river (Tundja). In the past there used to be such but has been destroyed by the river. Pay attention because on the Domino map of Bulgaria it is there waiting for you!

A perfect example for waisting public money-information centre in Matochina-closed, no visitors, no people.

Жадна съм.

Искам и аз!

 И аз искам!




The view from the tower is wonderful, 360 degrees.
view from the tower

village of Matochina

selfexplanatory
These guys just making me aware of my flat front tyre 5km before Svilengrad

Прочетете надписа! Евала. А съг нема веке такъви работи :(
Next I visited the Thracian (as it later will turn out in Greece they are called Makedonian) tomb in Mezek. The guys at the reception were very nice and kindly suggested I should sleep at the fortress as there was a guardman throughout the night which I embraced as the memory of the theft in Romania was still fresh. I shot a forbidden pic inside.

Entrance


Street art on the way to the tomb
There is a cycling path between Svilengrad and Mezek. Mezek is the village with the best preserved in Bulgaria fortress with original walls and towers up to 6 m above ground level. Back to the cycling path. It was a part of some EU funded project. However! I saw no people using it. I only met two guys on bikes but they were paddling next to that cycling path, not on it. Two problems: number of people cycling in Svilengrad too low. Second-the path itself is rubbish! It is made out of concrete. Consequently uneven and unpleasant. Some standard needs to be adopted in Bulgaria regarding cycling path construction and commissioning. Because you can see such rubbish in even in Sofia. I'm wondering if releasing payment for such an execution isn't some kind of abuse.


The fortress of Mezek is really great! Part of a project executed by the Municipality (together with the said cycling path but more successful). Entrance fee 3 BGN, was free until August this year. The road to the fortress has about 20% inclination!! Tough for a cyclist. There is free water down across the shop, so first take your water and then go up to spend the night, don't do like me-I had to go down and then up again...


bulgariatrue.com
perfect view from the fortress over the village of Mezek

inside the best preserved tower

I mean this one ;)
In the evening I am wondering which way to take the next morning-to the fortress of Lyutitza and Villa Armira or directly to Ivaylovgrad or go a bit back and enter Greece from neaerby Svilengrad...The next morning I'll be having more to wonder about :))

Powered  by bulgariatrue.com




Няма коментари:

Публикуване на коментар